Saturday, January 7

Friday night fever...

Little buddy has been saying "Alex tummy hurts" for a few days, but wasn't showing any signs of being ill... until yesterday.  

We went over to play with "Mando" (Margo) next door since he'd been asking all week- and when we got there, Alex just wanted to go home and pretty much stuck close to me during our visit.  After Micki coaxed him with a snack, he eventually wandered around their house for a bit and then kept asking again to go home again.  During naptime, he partied on and off with his keyboard... giving Mommy a concert via the baby monitor.  And when dinner time hit, and I took his temperature again (which I've been doing for the last few days) and the thermometer read 101.7  By nine-thirty, it was up to 102.1   No fun!   This is his first big fever... he's been so healthy.  We decided to seek advice on what to do for him.
*********************************************************
Blue Cross-Blue Shield has a 24/7 nurse line which I called twice last night.  I described what was going on and was given very detailed advice by nurses on what to do.  I am impressed!
*********************************************************
We were advised to get him out of his fleece pjs and into breathable cotton jammies, to have him only drink clear liquids, and I was told to do a little test for appendicitis.  Scary!  I felt his belly and though he wasn't happy with my hands on his tummy, he didn't seem to have any rebound pain.  So we proceeded with cool washcloths on his forehead, medicine, and divided and conquered our energies.  Mommy feeding Sierra, and Daddy snuggling on the couch upstairs.  It makes me think of all the times Gramma took care of Uncle Jon and me when we were sick.  It's a lot of work and we do it with unconditional love because that's what Mommys and Daddys do!

11:48 pm                      Alex requests to watch 'Bob'

When I got up to feed Sierra in the middle of the night, Alexander's fever was up to 102.6  He was burning up!  This is how I found the boys sleeping upstairs.

2:39 am        'Alex has moved from the couch to sleep with Daddy on the floor'

After another dose of tylenol and Daddy snuggles, Alexander's temperature was down to 100.8 early this morning.   After breakfast, a trip to the doctor is in store for the boys.  

Let's hope the rest of us stay healthy... Uncle Jon is coming tomorrow.  Hooray!